StoneBrook Winery is the wine division of the Walter Farms. Our family farm began 134 years ago. In 1871 Charles Walter ran a blacksmith shop that repaired metal hardware for local farmers and produced parts and manufactured coaches and wagons. There was a local demand for these wagons in the 1800’s. Two hay wagons produced in that era remain on the farm today.
The 1920’s brought a switch to dairy cows along with vegetable and fruit crops. Anna Walter the Matriarch oversaw the diary operation. In the 1950’s the farm operation mainly consisted of raising beef cattle and vegetable crops which continued into the 1990’s.
In the year 2000 our vineyard was prepared and 2001 saw the planting of several grape varieties along the rolling hillsides of the farmstead. Wine production and the tasting room began in 2005. Since then our wines have evolved and grown to include many delicious varieties.
The farm consist of two farmsteads. The original Walter farmstead which was built in 1871 and includes several buildings constructed out of field stone by German craftsmen. Several of these buildings, including the main house, remain functional today and the main home is listed on the Kentucky Historical Register.
Our Tasting room is located on the Kool farmstead which was built in 1890’s. This farmstead remains much as it was in the late 1800’s.
Today, the Kool House (1890 era) has been remodeled into our tasting room. The small surrounding summer kitchen, smokehouse and outbuilding provide a glimpse into the lifestyle of the early inhabitants. Many of the tools and household items used in the late 1800’s are on display in the tasting room.